KDU Penang recognises the key role played by its external examiners/assessors in:
- calibrating and maintaining its academic standards both internally and in relation to the broader higher education system
- verifying that the standards set are appropriate in the courses/programmes for which they are responsible
- ensuring the fairness and integrity of its assessment procedures and the integrity
A person with high academic standing appointed to examine the quality of the course assessments and their marking.
A person with high academic standing appointed to assess academic quality and standard of the programme.
The responsibilities of an external examiner are as follows:
1. Review the modes of assessment mechanism
Assess the examination questions, marking schemes and methods of assessment are fair, appropriate and reflect the content of the course.
2. Review and moderate the outcomes of assessment for such modules in the course area(s) assigned to them
Determine if the awarding of marks is impartial with no evidence of bias and in accordance with the marking scheme.
3. Report on the standard of student performance and fairness of assessments
The roles and responsibilities of an external assessor shall include the followings:
- Assessment of programme curriculum (eg: objectives and outcomes).
- Assessment of staff quality (including qualifications and industrial exposure), teaching load, research, consultancy and supervision of student projects.
- Assessment of student-staff ratio and study workload.
- Assessment of examination papers preparation (i.e. procedures for setting and vetting, quality assurance, confidentiality and security).
- Assessment of the standard of examination papers and marking schemes which includes coverage, adequate balance between theory and application, appropriate level of question, adequate choice of questions.
- Assessment of the marked answer scripts based on samples of good, average and weak candidates. Fairness/disparity of marking and the distribution of marks.
- Assessment of coursework (laboratory work, assignment, projects etc.)
- Assessment of examination procedures and regulations.
- Management commitment towards the programme.